Monday, April 26, 2010

Quick notes on basic choke from guard, Kimura from guard, omoplata, etc.

The hand:

1.  Open the collars comfortable enough for you to attack.
2.  Use opposite arm to enter the collar.  The other arm should keep the collar straight. 
3.  The blade of your hand--from your wrist to the tip of your thumb-- should snugly slide through your op's neck to his nape.  Use the rest of the fingers to grab the collar.
4.  Ditto with the other hand.  As a beginner, I prefer passing my free arm under my attacking hand. 
5.  Sim: Turn your wrists in a counter clockwise manner + forcing your arms down, bringing op's head with it + Lift yourself up.
Do Not bend your wrists.
Easier doing it than writing all the steps as far as English language could describe

The legs:
1.  Close guard

 Kimura from guard:

1.  If op's hand is planted on stomach, use opposite hand to push hand on the side and use free hand to circular sweep op's hand to the mat.  I'm not sure though if I should turn it clockwise or counter clockwise.  I remembered I did clockwise, but I tested again tonight and CC appears better because once the op's hand is planted on the ground, my hand is already holding his wrist.  I may ask next meeting.

2.  Use closed guard to push down op's body while you assume the kimura position.

3.  Lift your op's locked hand to his ear until he taps.

4.  Beginners use closed guard, some heel a foot but instructor warned us that this is dangerous, or a happy medium would be shrimping perp to op's body while placing a leg on top of the op's back.

Omoplata:

1.  From a triangle, the op defends with his arm wrapped around a leg.
2.  Shrimp, grab a leg.
3.  Straighten your legs so it can crash into the mat with your op's body with it. 

Passing an open guard:

1.  Ideally, grab the pant leg by the side of the kneecaps.
2.  Either push them down and pass; or
3.  Crash a leg on the mat and pass.
4.  If you chose No.2, turn your body facing your op's legs, and then to your opponent.



Notable achievements:

1.  I performed a basic pass effectively I think on two or more incidents. 
2.  I performed a near perfect kesa gatame.  My arm grabbing arm was too loose I got my op away.
3.  Kesstring's guillotine counter was effective to relieve the pain but due to lack of space I failed to make my op submit.

Notable failures:

1.  At kesa, my op straightened his arms to relieve my hold.  I should have performed an armbar or kimura americana.  Stupid of me.
2.  I kept eating weird sweeps.
3.  In BJJ, never ever grab a gi by the op's back.  You'd risk a takedown.  You can do that in Judo.
4.  I need to improve my mount defense esp on heavier opponents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment