Saturday, November 13, 2010

Another review for the double leg takedown

I am still having problems with this technique despite my long and arduous training.  I knew I've done it correctly.  I dived with back straight, hands on the opponents' calves, a bent leg between his legs, my head pushing on his side, then my other leg placed right beside his leg for balance.  But I still exerted too much energy where theoretically, I don't have to carry him, just push him sideways.  Worse, my opponent's legs kept getting caught on my supporting leg.  That opened up opportunities for defense in his favor even if I were able to take him down. 

Then I learned from another beginner (I just observed him) that I missed one simple detail.  JUST ONE. 

But before I tell you, let's review the techniques again.  If I stand in an Orthodox stance where my body is diagonally positioned to the right, here are the steps that I've done correctly.

1. Touch opponent's body other than arms to determine distance. 
2. Step in with the left foot. 
3. In one simultaneous motion: a) dive with your back straight;  b) Use left shoulder to bump on opponent's midsection;  c) Grab behind his legs (ideally, at the calves); d) Dig your head into his side to your left (that's where you are going to topple him). 
4. Your right leg should be stretched behind you.  Bring that leg right beside your opponent's left leg. 

From this position, I immediately pushed my opponent to the left by pushing his ribs with my head and tossing his legs away from the mat.  But my position was too unstable.  My opponent felt heavy and he could have had brought his weight forward to take me down instead (But we were performing drills so he did not attempt that trick).  To prevent this from happening, let's proceed to No. 5.

5.  Place left leg on the direction where you want to take him down (your left flank). 
6.  Push his side with your head and toss his legs upwards to your right (If you followed no. 5, performing this step would be much easier than it looks).
7.  Place your chest on top of his when his body lands on the mat. 

That's the problem with grappling arts.  Every small detail matters.  Treat the techniques like a computer code, a musical piece, a woman to be pleased.  A regular joe with no boxing experience can knock out a bully with a lucky punch.  But to toss that guy cleanly off his feet?  Keep on training. 




Code (irrelevant to the article):  Get your potbellied pig to mate

No comments:

Post a Comment